What do I do if I receive a notice from the IRS about my taxes?
Don’t panic! the first thing to do is carefully read the notice—to determine why it was sent, what the IRS is requesting, and what they want you to do. It may be nothing of importance; it may even be a notice in your favor. After reading it you should bring it to our attention.

How do I find out about my refund?

The best way is to use the Check Your Refund link from the Resources pages of our website! To look up the status of your federal or state refund, you will need your social security number, filing status, and exact amount you’re expecting back.

How long do I keep my records and tax


You should keep your records and tax returns for at least 3

years from the date the return was filed or the date the return

was required to be filed, whichever is later. It is recommended

that you keep these records longer if possible.

What is a 529 plan?

A Qualified Tuition Program (QTP), also called a "529 plan," is

established and maintained to let you either prepay or

contribute to an account established for paying a student's

qualified higher education expenses at an eligible institution.

States and eligible educational institutions can establish and

maintain a QTP. You do not get any federal deductions for the

account, but any income earned in it is tax-free. One of the

big advantages of a 529 plan is that many states allow you to

deduct some contributions to the plan from your state tax


What medical expenses are deductible?

A deduction is allowed only for expenses paid for the

prevention or alleviation of a physical or mental defect or

illness. Medical care expenses include payments for the

diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of

disease, or treatment affecting any structure or function of

the body. Except for insulin, only prescription drugs are

deductible. The cost of health insurance is deductible. You may

also deduct the cost of traveling to and from the care

provider. You can deduct only the part of your medical and

dental expenses that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross


What do I need to keep for my charitable


First, is your contribution cash or non-cash?

  • If you make a cash donation, you must have a bank record or written communication from the charity showing the name of the charity and the amount of the donation. A bank record can be the cancelled check or a statement from a bank or credit union—so long as it lists the charity’s name, the date, and the amount of the contribution. Personal records such as bank registers, diaries and notes are no longer considered acceptable proof of contributions.
  • Any used items (such as clothing, linens, appliances, etc.) must be in good condition and may only be deducted at the price you could reasonably ask for the item in used condition. For contributions worth $250 or more, you must have a written receipt or letter from the organization. For contributions worth $500 or more, you must file Form 8283 (Noncash Charitable Contributions) and attach it to your Form 1040.

All contributions must be made to qualified charitable organizations.

I received tax statements from my employer or bank after I filed my tax return. What should I do?
If we filed your return, bring the new tax documents to our office. We will determine if it is necessary for you to file an amended return.

When can I make contributions to my IRA?
Generally for any tax year, you can make a contribution to your IRA up until the original due date of the return (usually April 15). Thus for tax year 2010, you can make contributions from January 1, through April 15, .

FORGIONE SERVICES 190 Richardson St. Brooklyn, NY 11222 ground floor Tel.(718)389-7300 Fax.(718)389-7388